Shareholic

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. – Helen Keller.



 
This is definitely something being said by a philosopher. And philosophers are known to be living in the clouds, rarely in touch with reality. The only one who understand their uttering are other philosophers. From where I stand I see nothing of adventure. It is more like a drudgery that never seems to end. What we had imagined and what life has finally become!
Truth is I agree with this saying but I can’t for the life of me see most people having any inkling of what is being described in it.
For example, the owner of the grocery shop where I shop; he has to stand twelve hours a day, routinely look after clients with no respite day-in-day-out. He goes home to sleep and to listen to his wife’s complaints or demands which are mostly connected with children, household problems, relatives and in-laws; although justified he cannot do much about them as both time and energy are at a premium.
In another instance take my maid. Not enough income, large family as she cannot stop her husband from enjoying her. Then brooming and washing dishes since the time she was 14 and now she is 60+.
Is this adventure or a sick joke?
 
Who wants adventure? Life is taken as it was offered. No attempt to change or “think” other wise was ever even hinted by their souls. The learning process and excitement went out of their character long ago. Are you prepared to share their burden? If not, they are not interested in anything and definitely not any philosophy!
 
 
Expect much from yourself and little from others and you will avoid incurring resentments. – Confucius.
 
And thereby deprive us of all meaning to live? Confucius may have been a great and wise man and I know a major portion of humanity lives by what he says but just imagine life without complaints, without anyone to blame and without scapegoats to carry the load. I mean where would be the spice in living so kindly? And truth be told, what about the negative attitudes of those around us, how do we ignore that? Seems something like an illusion.
And this business of expecting much from myself is really mind numbing. Am I not a grand guy already? All I ask from others is a little respect of my space which is my right and some appreciation of all I do. Do you not see any virtue in my person?

No comments: